Voz Láctea - Magdalena Tarahumara
This first edition of a Voz Láctea - Magdalena Tarahumara* in the Sierra Tarahumara (Mexico) brings a mosaic of women artists of multiple ethnic origins together : from May 1st to 14th, 2018, Raràmuris women artists of Chihuahua will exchange their artistic practices with women from France, England, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Sweden, Spain, Italy, Chile, and Germany, around Art workshops, Conferences and exhibitions, Training sessions, Live Performances.
Motivated by a common interest in the multiplicity of languages as the foundation of culture, MAGDALENA TARAHUMARA 2018 generates a variety of artistic forms :
- It ties strong links between Tarahumara artists and non-native artists.
- It emphasizes the role of women in the transmission of language
- It proposes concrete solutions to the urgency of preserving indigenous languages threatened with extinction.
- It encourages multilingualism as an openness to dialogue and understanding of the other.
- Finally, i values art in the public space as a place for creation, exchange and encounter, where women, artists and indigenous people take their place.
*Founded by women theatre practitioners in Wales in 1986, The Magdalena Project is a trans-cultural network built on the exchange of artistic knowledge. In the fight against prejudice, it makes visible the work of women engaged in the visual arts and the live arts at an international level.